Robocraft

Imagine if Meccano and Lego had a baby... A really violent baby, with guns: That's Robocraft.

Build your vehicle. Do you want to move around the map by wheels? Treads? Do you want to hover over the ground? Or fly like a helicopter, or zoom like a plane? Maybe you'd like spider legs on your robot so he can walk sheer surfaces. All of these are possible.

Arm yourself. Do you like to snipe? The rail gun is for you. Do you like to bomb people? That's plasma. Do you like rapid fire laser guns? That's SMGs. Maybe you prefer to heal your allies (or laser your enemies to death in close range)? That's Nanotech. Then there's the "ram them and pray" style of play that encompasses Teslas.

There's spotting, radars, radar jammers, radar receivers, armoured blocks, helium blocks, break-away blocks, propellers, thrusters, ejector seats, core-ing, teamwork, no friendly fire, there are weird small shields that can absorb a hit and then take 15 seconds to recharge. There is death from above, death from the sides, there are small-scale flanking maneuvers and also team-wide flanking maneuvers.

There are a few different modes to play, Battle Mode is by far the best. Each map has a base for each team and three points of interest to control. You get more bonuses for controlling more of these points. You "overclock" (Read: Level up) inside of matches to a maximum of 13. Capture points, harrass enemy until you're Overclocked to 13, then go and destroy the enemy base. There are other game modes but they suck in comparison.

The game is free and runs like a dream for me.

I initially thought this game was a rip-off of World of Tanks and Mechwarrior but it's not, it's really not. It's got just as much depth as those games, it just focuses the depth on building your bot well. A well-built bot is a beautiful thing.

Play this game if you like pointing your cursor at stuff and watching it explode in incredibly satisfying chunks.

I also like this game because I kick absolute ass at it, (40 kills to 0 deaths in a match last night)

Posted 3 years ago     Legacy #1 - View post

I been listening to you guys chat about it all, whats the coop side of the game like?

Posted 3 years ago     Legacy #2 - View post

Playing cooperatively is tons of fun too. Most of my best matches have happened whilst Pinder and I are following each other. So much fun to use bait-and-switch tactics while he's in a quick hovercraft and I'm in a slow gunbed - Pinder gets their attention and ducks back behind cover, meanwhile I use my tank tracks to go OVER the cover and land behind the enemy, then we focus our fire on individual bots to de-gun them. Most people don't expect or react well to this kind of tactical gameplay so it works wonders.

So yeah - tons of fun in co-op. Platoons can have up to three people as standard, four if you're premium (and you better believe I'll go premium if we get four regulars).

Posted 3 years ago     Legacy #3 - View post

I gave this a shot for an hour or so tonight. I had no idea how to build a robot, replace parts on my robot or improve the existing setup, nor could I find any information about it. But I tried taking the first one that was in my garage for a spin none the less. I had no idea what I was doing, what the objectives were or how to accomplish them. And neither did anyone else, I think. We won that game, but I'm still not sure why. I drove around shooting whatever I could find, but most of the time I didn't really have any indication of where the fighting was and how to win the game. But it seemed to be very effective to just blast off the guns of anyone I met with 2 seconds of concentrated SMG fire, and then watch them being helpless from then on. Several times I also lost my tracks and/or could only drive forwards and backwards, or did it to someone else. I'm not sure I like the way module damage works in that way. I seems a bit too easy to cripple each other. Even getting to almost level 3 after that game, I didn't unlock anything new I could do with my little buggy, and I didn't seem to have any other useful stuff to stick onto it, so I called it a night there.

It seems like an alright little game. But I don't think it has much hope in luring me away from my hidden Stug and crouching Tiger in World of Tanks.

Posted 3 years ago     Legacy #4 - View post

What this guy said!

I've also given it a shot and am underwhelmed. The idea is quite fun and makes for some fun crafting, but the damage system and how it even makes you helpless at some point is just plainly annoying. Lastly, I didn't like the large scale of the battlefield in comparison to the small battles it delivers.

Besides that it seems to be an okay game once you get higher up i think.

Posted 3 years ago     Legacy #5 - View post